Friday, April 18, 2008

Third Trimester

The third trimester included attending wonderful baby showers and doing last minute obsessing. It also included preeclampsia and being on bed rest for a month before Flash was born!
I went to the doctor's office the first Friday in February. My BP was through the roof, my protein in my urine was high and I was swollen like a giant marshmallow! The doctor admitted me to the hospital and said that there was a strong chance that they would have to get Flash that night, if I couldn't get the BP down. I had a fantastic nurse who got the BP down, so the doctor sent me home on strict bedrest. My folks came into town to help us get the house and nursery ready for Flash. I felt so lazy lying on the couch counting kicks while my parents did my nesting for me, but they assured me that they were happy to help.
A week later, I had an ultrasound to make sure everything was alright with Flash. Imagine my surprise that Flash was breech and weighed approximately 9 pounds (and I had two weeks left before delivery)! A week later, Flash was up to 10 lbs and was about 21 inches long. The doctor said that we needed to schedule Flash's birthday---she was going to be born via c-section. Nothing is more bizarre than selecting your daughter's birthday!

No comments: