Friday, April 18, 2008

Delivery Day

We checked into the hospital at 11am on Feb. 20th. The two hours before the c-section flew by. I felt sad to know that I had protected her for 9 months and now I would have to share her with the rest of the world. But, I knew that everyone else was excited about meeting her.
After three epidurals, I was strapped to the operating table. Artie came in dressed in a head to toe surgical outfit! The operating room was very relaxed---music was playing. . . the doctors were joking with each other. Then, my OB said "I've got a foot." At 1:36pm, the OB lifted Flash over the curtain so I could see her. My first words "God, she is huge!" Artie went to cut the cord and take a million pictures of her. Unfortunately, Flash had low blood sugar, so they had to give her formula immediately. All this occurred while I was getting stitched up. When I was finally moved to the recovery room, I had to pry her from everyone else just so I could hold her! On the way to the hospital, we finally agreed on Flash's name. We thought about Ansley Grace, Grace Elizabeth and Elizabeth Grace. We always liked Ellie as a nickname, so we decided Elizabeth Grace.
Ellie's first days on earth went by in such a blur. I remember she had jaundice and wasn't eating well. I was exhausted and wasn't eating well. Like my doctor said, "A hospital is no place for sick people!" We came home on Sunday and the real fun began!

No comments: