Friday, April 18, 2008

Learning About "The Big News"

At the end of June, I went to my friend Karen's birthday dinner at a wine restaurant. Oddly enough, the wine just wasn't sitting well. So, I had to duck out of the party early. When I got home, I got online and chatted with my friend Brian. I mentioned to Brian that I was craving jelly beans, to which Brian asked how long I had been pregnant---ha ha. Just for kicks and giggles, I decided to take a pregnancy test (at about 11pm). Imagine my surprise when it came back positive! I ran into the study, where Artie was on the computer, and screamed at him "The stick is positive, but that can't be right because there is no way it can be positive because that means we are pregnant and that can't be right." Or, something like that. I was a BIT hysterical. Artie looked at me and said, "What are you talking about?" So, I calmed down a bit and told him we were pregnant. We ran back into the bathroom and looked at the stick. After realizing that the test expired the year before, I made Artie go out (at midnight) and get the expensive tests! Six tests later (all positive) it started sinking in that we were going to be parents. The seventh test in the morning confirmed that it was not a dream. The eighth test in the doctor's office solidified it for us----we were going to be parents! That night, I was a upset because I thought there was no way we ready to be parents. I mean, we didn't even have any baby names picked out! (Not like we would have 9 months to think of names, but you don't think about that when you are hysterical!). Artie told me that there was a name he wanted to name his little sister when she was born, but his mom said no. I thought it might be a family name or something, so imagine my surprise when Artie bent down to my belly and sang the Flash Gordon theme song (how many of you knew Flash Gordon HAD a theme song???)
And that began 9 months of Flash!

No comments: